Thursday 22 October 2009

Brainwash

Is it just me or is there an influx into the music scene lately of bands with animal names or some crazy variation thereupon, such as 'beasts'?...Well anyway, in keeping with this trend, whether I've imagined it or not, are Elephants. I am actually in love with this band. There's nothing like a bit of old fashioned indie. Plus the singer's voice reminds me slightly of that of vocalist Jack Steadman from Bombay Bicycle Club, who are possibly my favourite band EVER.


Further proving my point are a band I only discovered this morning. Bearsuit use a multitude of instruments to create sounds which include screamy punk vocals and a DIY effect reminiscent of the days of Riot Grrrl scene, poppy electro beats and sound effects, with the odd classical vocals and brass and wind instruments thrown in for good measure. Phew. They're signed to London-based Fantastic Plastic Records, along with the likes of The Victorian English Gentlemens Club and are worth checking out.

A few other bands which have caught my attention of late include Bear Driver, Wonderswan, Pulled Apart By Horses and Chickenhawk. I rest my case.

I believe the majority of the above will be playing at the Brainwash Festival, which is in it's fourth year and takes place in Leeds next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment